Just because someone vehemently disagrees with you, that doesn’t mean you have to allow it to ruin your day. Of course, this is sometimes easier said than done especially if the person who disagrees with you is a good friend or a family member.
Discovering how to end a needless argument before it turns into something ugly is very important to discover because even though many arguments happen needlessly, they can lead to many real unpleasant outcomes.
Couples, friends, family, coworkers, and even strangers argue from time to time. You may think that arguments are just a part of life and some are not excusable. However, there are some arguments worth fighting over and some that will serve no purpose whatsoever and trigger a lot of unneeded discomfort.
There are two types of arguments:
- The first is an argument worth fighting over. For instance, if your friend has a bleeding forehead and you think they should go to the hospital to get it addressed, but they don't want to, well, that's an argument worth fighting over because you know, it's for the betterment of the person you're arguing with.
- However, if you're both arguing over something mundane and senseless, there's an incredibly easy way to stop an argument almost instantly.
First of all, let's examine what happens to you when you argue. When you argue, obviously one of the main goals is to prove that you're right about something and that the other person whom you're arguing with is wrong. This can lead to tenseness, frustration, and even anger.
In addition to many other nasty sensations in an argument, the ego takes over and is craving that win because when you win an argument, the ego celebrates because the ego feels superior as it knows something that the other person doesn't know.
Winning an argument may feel good, but it also can inflate your ego and amplify that craving to be right about everything. This can lead to more discomfort when someone challenges your beliefs.
So how do you end a needless argument instantly? It's very easy. When you're in the middle of an argument, simply say three simple words. Those three simple words are, “You’re probably right.”
Who will want to argue with you once you just agreed with them? No one. They only want to argue with you when you are defending your beliefs and you are arguing back.
However, the second you allow them to win, their ego becomes satisfied, and at the same time, their argumentative side of their ego deflates.
Will it be difficult to agree with them? Absolutely. Yes, it will be. However, it can save you so much frustration. There are three things to remember here:
- First, start to use this technique even if you are 100% convinced that you are correct and they are wrong. This will become easier with practice.
- Start to implement this technique when you feel like someone is on the verge of arguing with you. End it before it begins by saying these three simple words, “You're probably right.”
- Once you start to implement this technique regularly, those who would regularly argue with you will begin to back off because they know they're not going to get anywhere with it. Why would someone want to argue with you when they know you won't argue back.
Try this technique and stick with it. It takes time to get good at it but it can be very worth it. It will become easier every time you use it.
🙏 Thanks for checking out today's blog post! If you enjoyed it, sign up below to receive a notification when future blog posts are released!